Missing Comfort Foods
Here is my recipe for Baked Beans
- 1 lb (454g) dried beans(cover with water and soak for 3 hrs or over night)
- Drain and discard water. Place soaked beans in a pot covered with fresh water. Add 1 tsp baking soda. Bring to boil, and simmer till tender, this will not take long, approx 15 min. A sure test is to spoon some out and blow on them. If skin cracks they are ready. Once again drain water. At this point they are ready for slow cooker or oven. If using slow cooker start on high. If using oven set at 300*F.
- While beans are simmering; Put the following in slower cooker or baking crook.
- 1 cup water (to start)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 4 slices bacon (diced) (optional)
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3/4 cup of date puree
- Once beans are ready, add and just barely cover with water. Cook for approx 3 hrs, (or until they reach the point that you prefer), checking half way through cooking time.
- I find with using date puree the beans take less time to cook.
- Note changing water every time will make beans easier to digest.