This is for my sister. She is diabetic and cannot eat potatoes due to the high amount of carbohydrate in a single potato. She loves potato salad but can no longer eat it and with another summer season soon upon us I have made an alternative that turned out to be very close to what she was missing. Give it a try, you may be surprised.
- This makes approx 4 servings
- approx. 1 lb celery root (celeriac)
- approx. 1/2 lb parsnip
- Peel celery root and dice, peel and cut parsnips into small pieces (parsnips tend to be stringy so the thinner the better) Cook in salted water until tender. Drain well, mash and refrigerate until cold.
- 2 hard boiled egg, peeled and mashed
- fresh chives or fine diced red onion
- 2 small dill pickles diced fine
- 1/2 – 3/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
Once celery root and parsnip mixture is cold, add rest of ingredients and mix well, adjust seasonings to your own taste. Enjoy.